Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, January 17, 2011

Will my baby eat onions?

So everyone who knows me knows my high aversion to onions.  Yes I can technically eat them and not have a deathly reaction, but they do make me sick to my stomach.  Sigh, I really wish I could eat onions.  I am making small strides though, and I am very proud to announce that I can eat chives and the very very green part of a green onion.  As long as it is smaller than a fingernail clipping... and mixed with other food.

And strange enough I do admit that onions add good flavor.  Like a friend of mine made chili, and while eating around the onions, I realized it was the best chili I've ever tasted.  I have found that picking out the onions in Thai or Chinese dishes is taster than ordering the dish without onion. I do think food can taste good rubbing against the onion.  (Although this is completely void in the context of a raw onion.  Anything that touches a raw onion tastes like one. EW.)

BUT I JUST CAN'T EAT THEM. Although I hear all the time about how a particular dish does have onions, but you can't taste them.  YES I CAN!!.  The texture (sickening crunch), the look (the lines make it like a segmented slimy worm), the smell (I can always tell when a food has them), the TASTE. Holy nightmares.  Let's just say I've never chewed into an onion more than once.  If I taste one, everything in my mouth has to come out.

So do I want this for my son? NO WAY. I want him to like onions. I want him to order anything he wants off the menu without asking "does this have onions?"  Or "no onions please."  I want him to enjoy Italian food, Mexican food, casseroles, chillies, potlucks, dinner with friends, any variety of lean cuisine or frozen meal.  Or 90 percent of Uncle Ben's rice. I don't want him to scan every pasta sauce ingredient list on the shelf to find the one brand without onions (it's Prego Three Cheese).   I'd hate for him to pass out those delicious crab cakes because they have onions in them.

Let's face it. Onions come in everything.

Well today I saw a baby food of chicken and vegetable stew.  I looked into the list of ingredients (a reflex). And there were organic onions. So, I put it back on the shelf.  How can I watch my sweet baby boy eat an onion?  Let him get them from his father.

1 comment:

  1. OkOk, I want to think back to when you first realized that you had this adversion to onions. Then ask yourself..who has this adversion, you or Nathan? I say let the kid eat onions!! Onions are good for him!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.